OCT 2013 Minutes

FRIENDS OF MOUNT CARMEL
Tuesday 8th October 2013 : 3pm

PRESENT

Lesley Cuthbertson Parent Clare Mellon Parent
Morag Mulhern Parent Maria Meehan Parent
Catriona McCrindle Parent Ann Cairns Parent
Lesley McLaughlin Parent

APOLOGIES

Agnes Starrs Head Teacher Margaret McGurn Acting Deputy Head
Deborah Boyd Parent

COFFEE MORNING

Coffee morning to be held in Onthank Community Centre, Saturday 26th October 2013, 10-2pm. It was discussed that we do not have enough people to staff the coffee morning and that we would need some assistance to help out on the day. It was agreed that we should ask parents to help on one hour slots. Lesley M mentioned that a number of books were handed in but unfortunately there were no raffle/bottle prizes donated as yet. It was agreed that another letter should be sent out to seek help from parents. Ann confirmed that she had received donations from some local companies that she had contacted that can be included in the raffle. It was also confirmed that we had a few stall holders who were going to attend (Cards, jewellery, bags, dog leads, candles). It was suggested that we ask Mrs Starrs to get the Primary 7 pupils to draw some posters to put up around the local shops and to also ask if some staff members could attend the coffee morning.

ACTION
Lesley M to send out letters to parents requesting help on the day and to also ask for any donations. Ann agreed to purchase items required for the day, paper plates, cutlery etc. Lesley M will speak to Mrs Kerr asking for a text message to be sent out to all parents reminding them of the coffee morning. Lesley to speak to Mrs Starrs regarding posters and staff attendance on the day.

HALLOWEEN DISCO

It was confirmed that the Halloween disco was booked for Thursday 31st October 2013. It was agreed that the times of the disco would be Primary 1-3 6.30-7.30pm, Primary 4-7 7.30-8.30pm. Clare confirmed that the DJ was already booked. It was confirmed that the cost of the disco would be £2 and that children would receive a juice and a packet of sweets this year. Ann suggested selling the glow sticks again this year at a cost of 20p which was agreed by everyone. It was confirmed who was available to help on the night, P1-3 Lesley M, Clare, Maria & Deborah P4-7 Lesley C, Clare, Morag & Catriona. It was suggested that more helpers may be required on the night.

ACTION
Ann to purchase glow sticks. Clare to purchase prizes and drinks for the night. Catriona to purchase sweets. Lesley M to send out letters for the disco and to contact some parents for help on the night.

FINANCE

Clare mentioned that the insurance was due for renewal as of the 1st August and was not paid as yet. Lesley C confirmed that there was no signatories on file with the bank and that they would need to be set up soon.

ACTION
Clare to issue cheque for insurance and organise signatories.

SCHOOL LET FEES

Lesley M discussed what had been said at the latest Parent Council meeting in regards to the let. The Councillor is going to try to arrange a surgery within the school which would allow both ourselves and the Parent Council to use the school for our meetings without having to pay for the let.

ACTION
Lesley M agreed to attend the next Parent Council meeting and to keep everyone up to date with this issue.

GRANT APPLICATIONS

Lesley M discussed that grant applications had been passed over to herself from the Parent Council for us to apply for a bike rack for the school. Lesley M also mentioned that we were expected to apply for any grants for the school as the Parent Council were unable to do it themselves. The point was raised in regards to exactly what stage we got to in applying for grants for an outdoor classroom previously as it was suggested that we should really try to apply again.

ACTION
Lesley C was going to look over the grant application for the bike rack and agreed to check what stage the former members got to in applying for the outdoor classroom.

NEXT MEETING

It was agreed that the date for the next meeting would not be confirmed until the School let fees were sorted out at the next Parent Council meeting.

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn